Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Back of Niki's Spirit

Here is a peek of the hand quilting done so far, but on the back side. The quilting on the front doesn’t show up too well, but the back sure does.

For this quilt, I wanted something a bit different and that meant making my own quilting design.
I bought a clip art book with different designs and found one that was perfect for my design. From an 8-1/2” x 11” sheet of paper that was printed, the design was cut into strips and each strip was enlarged until the total finished size was 25” high. I just taped all the sections together and glued the unit onto bristol board and then cut the design out with scissors. What you see here is only half of it and it fits nicely onto the triangle side of the pattern.

So there, a different idea for quilting designs.

I had a question about my tea dyeing and how to make the tea dye colourfast. After rinsing the dyed fabric well, I soak the fabric in a solution of vinegar and salt for a few days. Rinse well again and then wash and dry. So far, nothing has faded but guess time will tell if this method worked well or not. I've used this process before on other pieces and the fabric has been washed a couple of times now and so far it's working.

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

The hand quilting looks great. And thanks for sharing how you got there.

Leigh said...

Your quilting is superb. Great work.

Joyce said...

I am impressed with your hand quilting. I have been working on one since last Oct and I'm not nearly finished yet. I love the way you have arrnanged the colors on your quilt.

Luísa Silva said...

You are brave hand quilting such big quilt. But it looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your quilting techic

atet said...

How beautiful the quilting is -- and I am once again impressed by your ability to do hand work. I love the quilting design you are using -- and even more impressed that you made it yourself!

Anne Heidi said...

Your quilting is just beautiful! And what a great idea for finding new quilting motives.