Monday, July 23, 2007

At least three decades old UFO


After reading a number of blogs where the oldest UFO’s are found and revealed, I knew that my oldest was only four years old.

Then, a few months back, I started doing embroidery on a new project which I am quite enjoying. Suddenly, it struck me …. I have a very old UFO project which involves embroidery squares for a quilt! Originally, they were to have been painted using those paint tubes with a ball point tip, but I decided they would look better done in embroidery. OMG, they are over 30 years old … yes 30!

So, now that I found them, there is a slight problem. Silly me, I put a straight pin holding a piece of paper onto each block in the upper left corner. Yes, they now have rust spots. Does anyone have any ideas on getting rust out of fabric? If I can’t get rid of the rust, then it’s time to become creative and work around the problem.

Originally, these blocks were going to be a bed quilt, but that idea has changed to a wall hanging. It will be quicker. :o)

Looking further at each block, I think embellishments and colouring the flowers with crayons. Yes, I think that will work quite well. Stay tuned for more on these as time goes on. There is a lot (A LOT) of embroidery to do and it will take me a while. What the heck, they have languished for 30 years now, so what is the hurry?

Have a nice day!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Rose Marie try this link
http://www.ehow.com/how_18793_remove-rust-fabric.html
Such pretty blocks. Glad to see there are others out there being bitten by the embroidery bug.

Belvie said...

My great aunt always said put lemon juice on it and then lay it out in the sun.

Those blocks are so pretty! Even if you can't get the rust out....finish them and then get creative by putting a bug or another flower to cover the rust spots.

~Bren~ said...

There is a product called Whink that is safe for fabrics and removes rust. It is pretty cheap too. Beautiful blocks. I remember the fabric paints. My mom did thode back in the 70's.

loulee said...

I can't help with the rust, sorry.
But your block looks beautiful.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

What a super project! Just the thing to take out and about with you. Look forward to seeing progress pics.

Pam said...

Very pretty blocks! 30 years, that is pretty impressive. Won't it be nice to finish them :)) What about using one of those bleach laundry pens on the rust spots? Good luck with them.

corry said...

Wow, beautiful blocks! Hope you get the rust out!

atet said...

Those blocks are fantastic -- hope you can get the rust out, but if not, I'm sure you're up to the creative challenge!

marisa said...

30 years are so many.. a life... I think that with your creativeness' it will come from there' out a masterpiece.