Saturday, April 30, 2011

Now what?

I have been merrily making templates, basting fabric to them and sticking the pieces onto my design wall. Once the bottom areas get squared off, this section will be 1/4 of my quilt and will measure approx. 40" square. This is going together very quickly.


But .... stop .... how the heck do I sew all those pieces together? At first, I was just sewing pieces together and then had to ask myself if there was an easier way to sew them together. So, a plan was devised.


First, the hexagon shape (with the inside square) would get sewn together. Then I would sew one square to the bottom of the top hexagon and start working my way down one vertical row (see how the vertical rows have been separated on the photo below and, yes, a few squares are missing on the left vertical row). You will have to decide if you want to run your thread (on the back seam allowances) to the next section or secure and break your thread and start on a new seam.


Once a few vertical rows are sewn together, then I start joining the rows together.


Any hand piecing project can be approached the same way. My hexagon star project that you see on the left side (top photo) was sewn together the same way. A method makes the job easier and much more enjoyable.

Once a few sections are together, then I can start to remove some of the basting and paper templates. It makes handling a lot better. The templates on the outside edges are not removed until I'm ready to attach outside borders. This way, the edges don't get stretched.


The large white diamonds as well as the white square in the 9-patch are a variety of white fabrics and the centre of the hexagons are a variety of beige/cream fabrics. A couple of times a year, I buy the Moda Muslims FQ pack of white, beige and cream fabrics. They really help to keep the look interesting and each time I buy, the fabrics are new designs.


My paper templates get re-used a few times before tossing into the recycle bin. They get stored into a small bin and ironed to remove any wrinkles and the iron strengthens them up again for the next round of basting and sewing.



Pretty soon, all my fabrics will be cut out and stored away in their appropriate bins (see my previous post about this) and I can start to clean up my studio again until the next time a new project gets started.


My source for this project is EQ6 BlockBase software program. I will have to come up with a name other then D046 (that is the block name) or Puzzle Tile. Something a little more catchy is required, don't you think?


Do you want to see another version of this block .... go here. Susis made a gorgeous quilt.


Have a great day!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a pretty quilt! Very 'springy' and so appropriate for the time of year.

Crunchy Diva said...

love it! i should be working on my quilt as well.

Kiera-Oona said...

looks great! Im glad to see Im not the only one who recycles things like mushroom containers around the house.

Crafty Chookie said...

Your quilt is looking great..
Hugs Michelle

Julie Fukuda said...

Looks addictive to me!

Teresa said...

You never cease to amaze me with all you get done and absolutely gorgeous quilts!

Unknown said...

I love the tips you give us like ironing the paper, I have never thought of that (silly me).

liz said...

It is such a pretty pattern, and you are putting it together so fast.