Saturday, October 6, 2012

Just how wonky?

DH and I were changing the wall quilts and decided to hang my Log Cabin quilt up for the first time.  In our old house, there wasn't a wall tall enough for the quilt to hang properly, but it would be perfect in our entrance.  So, up it went and after standing back to admire it, we noticed how much it was buckling on the sides.  Good Lord, there is not enough masking tape around that could help to make this quilt look straight.  BTW, I use masking tape to tack down edges to help a quilt look straight and flat against a wall.

Just look at these photos.  Can you see all the waves from the middle down to the bottom?


DH wanted to know how much it was off?  Looking at the way it was hanging, I figured a good 2-3" between the centre and the outside edges.
We just couldn't leave it up and down it came to be replaced with another quilt.  So .... just how crooked is this quilt?  Out came the measuring tape to find out.
The results:

Length:
Left side:   100-3/8"
Centre:       104"
Right side: 101-1/4"

Width:
Top:            88"
Centre:        89"
Bottom:       86-1/2"

How did this happen, DH wanted to know?  When I made this quilt back in 1998, I didn't know that you had to measure  the length and width in three places and take an average figure when cutting out the borders.  When the borders were put onto this quilt, I just cut a strip of fabric, sewed it on and trimmed off the excess.  Live and learn!

This quilt always looked good on our bed.  Who knew it was that wonky.  :o)

Did I learn anything over the years?  Oh yes, just look at the quilt below.  Flat and straight as a quilt should be! 
I've had my chuckle for the day, how about you?

This weekend is our Thanksgiving holiday here in Canada.  We are so thankful for so many things and especially to Mother Nature for putting on a gorgeous fall show.  To my fellow Canadians, Happy Thanksgiving!

Have a great day!

12 comments:

Karen said...

What is the traditional Thanksgiving dinner in Canada?

Jennifer said...

I think many of us made less-than-perfect quilts in the olden days! Love your helper holding the quilt down.....wouldn't want it to blow away, you know. Is that tree in your back yard? It's glorious!

Teresa Rawson said...

Happy Thanksgiving! How nice that your holiday happens DUTING the color show instead of after all the leaves are gone and everything is bare! Does that mean that all the Christmas stuff legitimately comes out in Canada early?? (Oh, it's out here already...even WITH the Halloween stuff, LOL). Your quilt is still beautiful...it just needs to be on something 3-D, like your bed!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

paulette said...

The turkey is thawing!! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! Take care!
Paulette

*karendianne. said...

This is a really interesting post. It's fun to see how far we've come over the years or rather I should say how much we learn over time -especially you! Tnx for sharing. Interesting blog post topic. I really like the quilt you have hanging up there. You never skip on the border work. I really like that. I hope you're having a lovely weekend and enjoy the nice fall weather.

Raewyn said...

Your quilt is beautiful even if it is a little wonky - seems like continuing it's career as a bed quilt is the perfect solution. Amazing how much we learn on our quilting journeys isn't it?

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I have a wonky quilt that I hang and when it is up on the wall, it reminds me of how far I have come!

Sharon said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Fall colors are just starting to break out here on the west coast, Love the second quilt you hung up.

Julie Fukuda said...

I learned that lesson on a log cabin quilt too. because I just sewed and cut off making each block. There was quite a variety of sizes on the finished blocks. I did learn, however, that fabric is forgiving.
It did come out square and even went to an exhibit... but I measure all my borders these days.

Quilter Kathy said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Gorgeous colour this year around here!

Unknown said...

We learn while we live!

Barb said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!
I too came late to the square and flat party in my quilt making.