Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Tumbling along

I've taken up the leader/ender project that Bonnie Hunter is doing.  A tumbler quilt has been on my to-do list for quite some time.
Borrowing a template from a friend has helped speed up the process.  Thanks Jeanne.  My strips of fabric are 3-1/2" and I just place the top of the template on one of the edges and trim on two sides of the template.  Same process is repeated for the red fabrics.

Left over strips of red fabric will be cut into 3-1/2" squares for a charm quilt.  Since I was cutting the red fabric up, I might as well cut out squares at the same time and they will become another leader/ender project in the future.  Smart, eh!

Using my scrappy method, the tumblers are being cut out and placed in the four different containers.  Section A is up on the design wall in the top photo.  This way, it will have a uniform look.  This method has been used quite a few times now and it really works for me.  My scrappy quilts will never fit into the true definition of scrappy because a lot of my fabrics show up at least four times in my quilts (one for each section).  Does that bother me?  Not a bit.  These are my quilts and I will do whatever my heart desires.
This will be a twin size quilt.  Red and beige to go with my other quilts of the same colour.

Did I have to start another project?  Nope.  I just wanted to do this one.  Besides, it is a leader/ender project.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Leader and ender projects are a great idea.....my current one (ongoing for some time now) is Bear's Paw blocks made with autumn leaf prints and neutrals.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I've been wanting to do a tumbler quilt for a while too--doing it as a leader and ender project is a perfect way to do it! I don't need another project, but you have tempted me to do this one!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I haven't joined it yet but I keep getting tempted! I agree a great leader and ender project.