Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Finally .....

I did promise you photos of my Pie in the Sky quilt as soon as we could get outside.  It has finally stopped raining and snowing and blowing.  Do you know how hard it is to try taking a photo with any kind of wind/breeze?
  The back with the sun shining through it.  Looks lovely.
I had to show you this behind the scene photo showing my quilt rack and the back yard.  A perfect spot for taking photos.  I wonder what the neighbours must think?  LOL
This is the backing that I used.  You know, I still remember where I bought this fabric more than 17 yrs. ago.  Ye gads!  (I wonder what the translation tool will make of that phrase!  LOL)  Glad to have it finally out of my stash.
Hubby and I couldn't wait to get it hung up in our foyer.  Not the right quilt for spring, but we just had to see it hanging.  It will be left there for a few more weeks and then we'll take it down and put up a summer looking quilt.
What a great stash buster this was and it sure used up my 2-1/2" squares in the sashing.

A close-up of the block shows the change I made.  See the star points?  They are in different fabrics than the centre block.  That is the difference I did and what a huge change it made to the overall look.

Details:
Pattern Name:  Pie in the Sky
Pattern Source:  Kim Diehl - Simple Graces book
Finished Size: 96-1/2" x 97" (before quilting: 100" x 100-1/4")
Batting:  Polyester
Started:  September 2011
Finished:  May 2017

The top was finished back in August 2012 and has been on a shelf since then waiting to be quilted.  My plan was to hand quilt this, but as time goes on, reality is dictating to me to get my tops machine quilted by a LAer.  So, that is what happened with this quilt.  Many thanks, Ruth.

My garage friends are happy to see me dealing with my tops.  They have nightmares of me suddenly passing away and leaving them to deal with getting the tops and backings ready to take to a LAer.  When I mentioned this to my hubby he said that I should seriously do up a list of names and numbers to call and instructions on what to do with my tops, etc.

Most importantly .... we can use the quilts for display and for keeping us warm.

It would also not be fair and very confusing to leave so many projects unfinished.  I'm dealing with those on a monthly basis.  Reality, folks, reality.  Think about it .....

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love your quilt......did I see it on the way to its finish? It has turned out beautifully!

Frog Quilter said...

Awesome and so beautiful!

Raewyn said...

I'm pleased you took the time to photograph it for us - as well as finishing it!! It's beautiful; I have this book and this quilt is on my wishlist but maybe I should concentrating on lessening my pile of flimsies too!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Your Pie in the Sky turned out great--makes me think I should make one again! My friends and I have all informed our spouses on what to do with our stashes--just in case--lol!

julieQ said...

The scrappiness of this quilt is just lovely! I love it so much...great work always on your blog!

Karen said...

So many fabrics in your quilt. A delight to look at.